Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I can't believe we're debating advertising.

But advertising is debatable, especially when there are points that can vary due to interpretation. It makes more sense to me than to debate a phone's features which at any point in time are at least factual/concrete.

Originally Posted By: tonyc

Palm has the hot phone now

That has yet to be demonstrated by public opinion and mindshare, let alone sales figures. The latest of which put the first weekend sales between 50k and 100k at "best/highest" estimates. I believe even the folks at Palm are a little worried because the only thing they really said about sales were that they were "pleased" - that's hardly bragging.

Quote:
and it has definite advantages over the competition.

It's a nice phone compared to many other products out there. There's one particular product it can't really claim any advantages over for the average consumer though.

Quote:
Neither is known for great advertising. Why does Palm have to be the one to run the ads, and why do the ads have to focus only on the positive for them to be effective?

Nothing "has" to be one way or the other. I simply said that for Palm's greatest benefit, they would take a lead position on promoting their product and do so in such a way as to make it a favorable proposition in consumer's minds. That's generally accomplished by painting the product to be a good one, advocating its features and benefits. Not by letting your partner, who does not have a vested long-term interest in your company nor product, put out ads trying to paint the head and shoulders most lauded mobile product of the century as being inferior. Especially without providing even a single fact to back that assertion. Or worse, lies.

The iPhone has multitasked since day one. All iPhone models currently run multiple applications at the same time (just not any arbitrary group of applications and not third-party applications), and push notifications are as real-time as the network allows.

There's room out there for multiple products, and in Palm's position they need to move to make the Pre a viable choice, not let Sprint possibly damage their image while this exclusivity arrangement runs its course. I am sure that 199 out of 200 people would choose the iPhone over the Pre if given a straight up choice (ie. excluding all carrier concerns). Yes, I just pulled that figure out of my ass, but unlike what Sprint is advertising, I can back mine up with sales figures.