Quote:
it's really only half fair to bring gay marriage into this as Kerry was also against gay marriage

I couldn't have proven my point any better. Bush and Kerry were both of the opinion that "marriage is between a man and a woman." Only Bush was in favor of a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, Kerry wanted to leave it to the states to decide. A clear example of Bush trying to infuse his own moral code into our government. A President having faith and using that faith to guide his decisions is, in general, not a bad thing. Using that faith to divide the country, win an election, and put in laws which govern morality to an unprecedented level, that's, in my opinion, un-American.

Quote:
Believing that our idea of morality is what drives the laws of our country does not equate to wanting a dictator telling us how to live.

I didn't say dictator. Bush was democratically elected, and clearly represents the opinions of a slight majority of the people who voted (either that, or his other campaign tricks like using fear of terrorism were very effective in making people choose to overlook his obvious theocracy.) In any event, he was the one who pulled the most Americans out to the polls, but you can't tell me that the gay marriage referendums on the ballots didn't help his cause. His use of moral wedge issues is what got him re-elected, and his use of religion as a campaign ploy was despicable. Unfortunately, it's not illegal.