Quote:
While I've started looking harder to find American-made things, or at least things made where I know the working conditions are likely to be reasonable, I know I'm guilty of buying things on price, recently even.

Ok, this is now 2 replies to myself. I suck. Anyway, someone pointed out in response to a thread on a mailing list about a Pittsburgh historical topic where the closure in the last 5-6 years of a local coke plant, that perhaps it was better (for us) if the heavily polluting industrial processes moved offshore. The person who said it was a political moderate who works for state government.

After considerable thought, I decided that wasn't true. Despite recent dilution of environmental protections, there'd still be less environmental damage from doing it here than in China or many other 3rd world countries. And the processes aren't moving to area with good environmental protections, they're moving to China... but we all share an environment.

Certainly televisions aren't as dire as they were; for a while only Zenith sets were made in the U.S.; Now Sony makes sets in a plant in New Stanton, PA, which was built for Chrysler and opened finally 4 years late as a Volkswagen assembly plant.