Quote:
How do you explain these numbers except for ignorance or they were tricked?

Some of it IS willful ignorance:'don't confuse me with the facts...', some is apathetic ignorance--following the issues takes time and thought, and then there's the other half of the normal curve. As noted previously, the majority of U. S. citizens are out of touch with the country's stance in the world and with the world's perception of us. Today's Fact of the Day in the Scotsman (online) is a paragraph on the history of Montana. It just struck me; how likely are we to find something similar about them in our local rag?

Along another line:

Quote:
BTW, what is it that makes Christians (all three descendants of ancient judaism, actually) so obsessed with sex?

To some degree, most societies are; it is a very powerful life-force, if not, as in Freud's theories, the dominant one, and hard to separate from survival of the species. The feminist view, which holds a lot of validity, also suggests that, especially in the cultures you mention, the sexual taboos keep women in their place: barefoot and pregnant. The U.S. culture is even more ambivalent about it than most; it's used to sell everything from cars and blue jeans to toothpaste, and these days you can find any deviation or degradtion of it you care to imagine online, but we are if anything becoming even more ambivalent and confused about it as a result. As I think you're suggesting, that ambivalence and fear is at the root of a lot of the cultural values clashes; it's not just Viet Nam we're refighting in a new form, it's the 60's and the Sexual Revolution.

Edited by wfaulk (09/11/2004 13:02)