Quote:
No, I think Jim got it wrong, there... he missed the "I'm the only one that can keep you safe" issue, so it's really 3.5 issues that I think people were voting on.

I won't disagree. I think that the reprehensible fear-mongering had its desired effect on some relations of mine, certainly. So in terms of what contributed to the vote, I think 3.5 is about right.

What moved my exasperation over the 2.5? Well, Bush/Cheney probably deserve some cred on their anti-gay/anti-abortion/pro-gun positions evern if they don't really lose sleep over those. At the same time it is darned hard to find any Republicans offering a credible defense for many Bush/Cheney actions including the biggest clusterfuck of all (Iraq) and I hear a lot of people saying -- yeah, quoted in the newspaper and on radio -- "well, gosh, we don't really care about all of those nasty particulars, we just know that hand of God is on his shoulder". Moral issues! I can't believe people say that. Of course, these are the people who still think George found the WMD, so what am I to expect?

Anyhow, I guess my shocked 2.5 disbelief is aimed at the "God's hand" evangelical turnout that pushed this one into Satan's win column. As some angry wag said, red state Republicans have been punked by blue state Republicans. Well, if that ain't the work of the Devil, I don't know *what* is.

And from the standpoint of a strategy that milked the evangelical base, I am guessing that, when the votes are in, Rove will once again win the Evil Genius award for targeted ballot initiatives in swing states that got the vote out over and above the national fear-mongering. And I should add back your comment:

Quote:
Because everything else he's done has been a failure when you look at the facts? (Those have been hashed out so many times before that I'll not repeat them here.)

Sigh. Yup.

Edited by jimhogan (10/11/2004 03:14)