Quote:
Granted, my only source of information were efforts by Bush&Co to supress efforts to popularize use of condoms, to the extent that they witheld aid from AIDS-fighting programs that even mention condoms.
I'm interested to know what that was about; I've not heard of anything like that. I can't see that this would be an attempt to get votes from conservative Christians, but perhaps there is some fiscal conservatism in view? As I said I really know nothing about it. I do know that AIDS is ravaging African at the moment and we should be doing everything possible to stop it, so what you’re saying is cause for concern.

The youth ministers I know (who deal with the issue of per-marital sex more than anyone in the Christian church) certainly encourage abstinence, however if they know a person is going to be sexually active, certainly they’ll encourage protection. No one wants the spread of STDs or unwanted pregnancies.

I suppose there is a big question of sex education in school. I’m not really on top of the issue (not having kids in school), but I guess the issue is whether the state is teaching children the type of sexual responsibility the parents want. I remember going through it all several times when I was in school and thinking the whole thing was pretty much a joke. My mother (a much more liberal person than I am who never really encouraged abstinence for me) also felt the sex education I received was not too helpful. I don’t think I’ll fret over it too much though (I reserve the right to feel differently in 16 or so years); I assume that I’ll have a relationship with my children strong enough that I can provide them with whatever information I feel is lacking in the public education (if my children are publicly schooled, that is).