Originally Posted By: drakino

Any phone is going to have at least some minor signal loss if the antennas are covered up. That part I understand, and am fine with. Simple concept really, cover up the antenna, and it has worse reception. Some loss is to be expected, and most phones when held reasonably do just fine.

Some phones appear to have a design flaw that places the antennas in a spot that when held in a common, but not covering way results in a significant loss of signal. This includes the iPhone 4, and potentially the Nokia E71 based on the performance shown in one of those videos. My opinion on this is lines up more with you in that I find it's a bad design.

The thing is, candybar phones have the antennas as far away from the head as possible to reduce the SAR values; that means the antennas are up against the hand (which has a higher SAR limit than your head as I remember). One of the PhDs who commented on the issue noted this.

Multiple antenna phones tend to only receive on multiple antennas, so more antennas do not necessarily help with these issues for uplink degradation.

(speaking personally, obviously)