Originally Posted By: Dignan
Let me be clear when I say this: that is amazing. Absolutely. I'm so excited that a mobile platform can do that now.

Honestly, as pretty as it is, I actually wasn't impressed. Because it's not doing anything "hard" by modern standards: It's all pre-rendered textures, all the lighting is baked into the textures already. There's no dynamic lighting that I could see. Having a decent set of tools to create baked environments like that is impressive and important, but I don't find the tech of "playing back" all that pre-baked stuff surprisingly impressive. At that point it's just textured polygons.

Don't get me wrong, though, I certainly couldn't code anything like that, that's all rocket science to me. And the artistry of the level design is top notch, I'm not capable of that either. All I'm saying is that the art is more impressive than the tech in that demo.

Quote:
BUT (you knew that was coming): to me, that still looks like a PITA when it comes to controlling it. I suppose I might get used to it after playing with it for a long time, but should I? There are faster control methods out there, it's actually kind of sad that I have to cover up those beautiful graphics with my thumbs!

Interestingly, the two-thumbs control scheme is not the only way to control things. I like the adventure-game style click-to-walk-there mechanic and I don't think it gets in the way nearly as much as the two-thumbs method. I can envision entire games built around that mechanic. You can see it in the latter half of the second video, and if the dude didn't hover his finger over the screen the whole time, it would actually be a lot less obtrusive.

Quote:
and worse than everyone - the horrible, disruptive notifications. I'm amazed that Steve is happy with how those work... I know we talked about the notifications already, how it's difficult to change them quickly, but I'm amazed they aren't even talking about it.

I don't know what those were about. My phone doesn't do that to me. Maybe it's because I have a lot of that crap turned off...