They have admitted that there's a problem though. Jobs even referred to the left side as a "weak spot."

Jobs using the word "problem" specifically.

Originally Posted By: "Steve Jobs"

But not everyone is seeing this — a small number encounter it. For those customers we’ll get them a case, and if that doesn’t work, we’ll get them a full refund. And we’ll continue to work on antennas that don’t have this problem.

He even admits that they made a mistake...

Originally Posted By: Steve Jobs

We're human. We make mistakes, and we figure it out fast.

John Gruber's take which is surprisingly similar to mine:
Originally Posted By: "John Gruber"

What I took away from the press conference is that Apple believes the iPhone 4 antenna is better than the previous iPhone antennas, but it has a more sensitive “weak spot”. And, that more sensitive weak spot is inherent to the external antenna design. In short, that it’s a trade-off — better signal quality overall, better aesthetics, more structural rigidity, even better battery life because there’s room for a bigger battery without an internal antenna. The trade-off is that all of those benefits come at the expense of a more sensitive “weak spot”.

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Bruno, if you can give any evidence at all that any other phone ever has had a problem like this (not mere attenuation, but near instantaneous apparent complete loss of signal), I'd love to see it.

Isn't this what's happening with the Nexus One? Remember back in February? http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/nexus-one-3g-problems-persist-after-update-is-it-a-design-pro/

Edited by hybrid8 (20/07/2010 15:34)