Originally Posted By: Dignan
However, I do think that Boxee has a tough road ahead with that $199 price tag. I think it's worth it, but it won't have mass appeal with that price and without the average consumer being able to grasp what exactly the box does.

Hmmm... Someone else said that earlier... wink

Originally Posted By: Bruno
I think their $199 price is going to severely limit their penetration however. It will remain a very niche solution unless they can bring that down under $150 SRP. And they need to market it as an alternative to a DVD and BluRay player, as well as an alternative to BlockBuster- in language consumers will understand.

There are various mental pricing barriers where one feels comfortable with an impulse purchase. $199 is just past that, IMO, but $149 is not. It's only $50, but that $50 might as well be another $200 to the psyche. What's worse is that their SRP is actually $229. I'm not sure if this is a case of DLINK being greedy and simply averse to the amount of up-front tooling and expense they may be on the line for. At CES another Boxee-enabled product was announced, but I can't remember what it was - it was from a relatively unknown producer.

Edited by hybrid8 (17/09/2010 15:45)