Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Hmmm... Someone else said that earlier... wink

Ah, didn't see that part of the post. I'm in a skimming mode today. Not all there...

Quote:
There are various mental pricing barriers where one feels comfortable with an impulse purchase. $199 is just past that, IMO, but $149 is not. It's only $50, but that $50 might as well be another $200 to the psyche. What's worse is that their SRP is actually $229. I'm not sure if this is a case of DLINK being greedy and simply averse to the amount of up-front tooling and expense they may be on the line for. At CES another Boxee-enabled product was announced, but I can't remember what it was - it was from a relatively unknown producer.

Oh I definitely agree with the mental barriers of different price levels. That's why Apple will do well despite not doing a thing with the new AppleTV. $99 is an extremely compelling price for a gadget, even for people not that into gadgets. These days, $99 is an impulse purchase, especially for an Apple product.

As for the $229 price, I really have no idea where that came from and why they even dared to put that out there. Is that a legal issue? Is it a marketing thing? Are they thinking that people will look at that and say "oh, wow, it's usually $30 more (even though it hasn't even been released yet), I'd better snatch it up!" That's a bad move. I even sent a message to Boxee on Twitter, which they initially misread (it shows you the kind of ADD people a company has on Twitter if they misread less than 140 characters), and then simply said "the price for the user is $199."

Oh well, I pre-ordered one about 20 minutes ago. I still can't tell if it bills you right away, but I'll check my account later and see.