Originally Posted By: drakino
What would be really cool is to tie it into the iPhone geofencing abilities with iOS 5.

That would be pretty cool. Because as it stands, to "program" the remote automatically over the 7 day period, you have to go make manual adjustments to it multiple times per day. If you don't, forget, etc. then it's going to be set incorrectly. I suppose it will eventually correct itself, but how many week do you want to go and keep making manual adjustments?

Originally Posted By: Dignan
We have two floors, with a thermostat on the first floor, and duct work in-between the levels. This is an awful design.

Around these parts, that's standard, and it's exactly that way for some 99% of homes.

If you found other thermostats lacking, perhaps you didn't see the Honeywell Prestige 2.0 IAQ:

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Produ...fort+System.htm

It requires a number of doo-dads, but once they're connected, you have WiFi, app control from phones, outside temp and humidity, inside humidity control, ventilation control, more advanced control of the blower fan as I want, and more. You can install additional sensors and it will average (by default) the temperatures from the different sampling locations. I suspect you should be able to override this to get it to respond to one specific sensor.

I'm pretty sure another one of the WiFi products, maybe that Bee one I can't remember the name for right now, had separate control and monitoring sensors. So you could move the sensor to sample ambient elsewhere, while keeping the control module where the wires are.

There's only so much a thermostat can do however to overcome a poorly designed HVAC system. In a bigger home you'd have multiple furnaces and air conditioning units to service different parts of the home, allowing better control of each zone.

Edited by hybrid8 (25/10/2011 16:33)