Originally Posted By: Dignan
We have two floors, with a thermostat on the first floor, and duct work in-between the levels. This is an awful design.
Yes.

My house in Alaska was very efficiently heated (we didn't concern ourselves too much with cooling. smile ) My heating bills were dramatically less than other people with similar sized homes -- sometimes by a factor of ten or more. I knew people whose heating bills in the coldest part of winter might run them as much as two or three thousand dollars in a single month.

My system was hot water baseboard with two "special" aspects. First, the boiler was a German unit made by Buderas. Buderas is unique in that they vary the boiler temperature depending on outside temperature, so instead of keeping my boiler at 190 degrees (F) all the time, it might run at 110 degrees if the outside temperature was, say, 40 degrees. Buderas claims, and I have no reason to doubt them, that they will put the same number of BTUs into a home as a conventional system, but at 75% of the fuel consumption.

The second thing that made my heating system efficient is that I had seven separate and distinct heating zones, controlled by seven thermostats. All of my interior walls were insulated, so rooms I wasn't using (big house, I was there by myself) I kept at about 40 degrees in the winter time. Of course all the outside walls were 6", heavily insulated, all the windows were triple pane glass. Entry was through the garage which was semi-heated by whatever heat leaked through the wall to the living/dining room. At 40 below zero outside temperature, the garage would drop down to about zero degrees, which is no problem with a properly prepared Alaskan car.

All in all, I had a pretty efficient house.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
DSCF2883.JPG