Originally Posted By: altman
Originally Posted By: DWallach
Cute. The author claims there's Zigbee in there. We've got a "smart meter" on our house that speaks Zigbee, and I've got a not terribly clever battery-powered display that gives me data reported by the meter. Can my Nest (eventually) patch into this?

Can't really comment on that, apart from saying that Zigbee is a standards nightmare. Everyone appears to be running different layer2's over it...

Dan, what smart meter do you have? The way you describe it, it sounds like you are referring to the power companies meter, rather than something you added. If this is the case you know of other add on products that could do this? Might be looking for something like this later in the year.

Altman, colour me interested in knowing more about my house's energy consumption. Be this Nest and other such devices talking to each other, or the data being pulled or pushed to a device* that can process and publish it.

*Said device should not be an always on PC, but a little shell script on a router. Or in this connected age, just a page in the cloud. And no I'm not fully thinking though the pluses and minuses, I'll leave that to smarter people than I.