Originally Posted By: DWallach

- This also raises something of a privacy concern, since Nest Incorporated clearly knows your schedule. I've read over their privacy statement, and it's pretty good. The only glaring flaw is that they claim they store my WiFi password on their servers. That's bad. My WiFi password should never physically leave my house. (It's different from every other password in my life, so the compromise of it wouldn't be particularly catastrophic for me, but.......

I read that part of the privacy statement differently. Its pretty specific that it's the thermostat itself that is storing the key.

Quote:
To access and program the Nest Learning Thermostat over the Internet from your computer or mobile device, you will need to connect it to a wireless network. During setup, the Nest Learning Thermostat will ask for your Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and encryption key to connect to your home network. It will save this information on the device so that it can check for commands you send from your mobile devices or computer, check for Nest messages, and look for updates.