Ok, I started looking at this again because I find the product amazing looking and full of promise. But the more I read the worse this product starts to look. And it looks great when you first see it. Which is the sum of the problem I have with it.

Looks great, but nothing special.

I can't find information about it being able to do anything at all that other run of the mill thermostats don't already do, and for the most part, have always done. There's a lot of marketing on their site and some BS too saying things like "other thermostats" along with some negative etc...

The thing is, that other plain-ol-thermostats already do a lot of what Nest claims as clever engineering, like running the fan after shutting down the furnace or AC.

Its biggest features seem to be WiFi, though that's just another way to do things manually for the most part, and its learning ability. The thing is, setting up a detailed 7 day schedule (that works) is pretty trivial on any programmable thermostat. For me anyway (probably you too). I know it's not for a lot of the general population.

It really looks like a basic thermostat with wifi, self-programming and a pretty shell. That famous lipstick-clad pig if you will. And while this one also has a pair of roller skates, it still tastes the same. It doesn't seem to have any non-basic features:

It doesn't support HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilation) systems.

It doesn't support control of (controllable) humidifiers. Or dehumidifiers.

It doesn't support scheduled or random or any fan control not already supported on every other thermostat available today (auto or ON is all it has). This is a HUGE deal when you're dealing with a mode-based thermostat (more below).

It doesn't monitor humidity and temperature outside.

No support for multi-location/zoned remote sensors.

It's primarily MODE-based operation (heat *or* cool) just like every basic thermostat out there.

In modeless operation, what they call "RANGE" (that is where you don't hard-set to cool or heat) you must program everything manually. Doh!

Here's a nice blog post at Nest alluding to the cluelessness: http://www.nest.com/2012/02/22/a-thermostat-just-a-thermostat/

People don't want Nest to interface with Control4 and Crestron so that it can control lights. They only want it to be a thermostat, but they want the rest of their system to be able to talk to it. The existing system will continue to take care of the lights and all the other stuff. Control4 and other automation systems can do things like open and close curtains, blinds, windows as well as turn on and off ceiling (and other) fans. Kind of important to have a thermostat that plays nice with your existing system if you're going shopping right?

Ease of programming is a great feature and shouldn't be overlooked because a lot of people don't know how to use a TV remote, let alone program a thermostat. Simplicity is hardest (but best) when accomplished through design. Simply leaving off core THERMOSTAT competencies however, is deletion, not design. It doesn't take any talent to do it that way.

But damn, it does LOOK amazing.