Back to looking at Thermostats (among other things) for some upgrades around the house to be done before the year is out. Since I'm running some wires and will be in the shared wall that currently holds our stat, I'm looking again.

Just saw this on Nest's blog: http://www.nest.com/2012/09/06/the-iphone-controlled-home/

They went to CEDIA. Wow, now isn't that irony. Just in case: CEDIA is the "Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association" - it's THE custom installer and home automation trade show. Nest stats don't work with any other systems.

They make a point of saying they like how a few other companies are also doing app-centric, non-integrated things and then they mention some examples, two of which (Lutron and RTI) most definitely integrate with environmental controls of other companies. For Pete's sake, the RTI screenshot they show in the blog even has an icon for Climate on it.

Why does such sexy hardware always have to be paired with such half-assed software? This is really what's been bugging me with Apple lately too. Software has really been going to shit over the past 6 years.

Edited by hybrid8 (21/09/2012 22:56)