As expected, here's the new Nest Thermostat: http://www.nest.com/blog/2012/10/02/the-next-generation-nest-thermostat/

The whole Zigbee thing at the FCC was sort of a red herring because the original Nest has also always had it.

Looks like Nest now does 2 stage cooling, 3 stage heating, humidifiers and dehumidifiers. It's also 20 percent thinner than the previous model, but I kind of miss the fact it no longer has a black band around it.

A few of my wish-list items are taken care of with 2.0, including humidification and simultaneous heat/cool (maintaining automatic operation). Still too bad about HRV/ERV because I'd love to get rid of the separate control panel for that.

CAVEAT: The support for the extended HVAC hardware will only work with ONE of those pieces of hardware at a time. Nest is using a catch-all connector to support humidifier, dehumidifier, emergency heat-pump and third-stage heat. So if you have two or more of those capabilities with your current system, you'll need to pick only one for control by Nest.

Edited by hybrid8 (02/10/2012 13:01)