I just wanted to update that I purchased and installed that Trane thermostat (actually, a model slightly newer than that one). I had one major hurdle: no C/24VAC wire, so no power to the thermostat (and it doesn't come with batteries because they'd get drained in no time).

Thankfully, the HVAC gods were smiling on me, and I found that the line they ran from the furnace had four unused wires clipped back into the wall. So I merely picked a wire to carry my power, tied it into the other C wires back at the furnace, and used that. It worked like a charm, and now I can set my thermostat from anywhere! I love it.

The other night, my wife and I went out to do a trivia night with some friends at a bar. I turned the thermostat off when we left for the bar, but on our way back (the bar was about 30 minutes away), I set the thermostat to heat the house back up from the 67 degrees it fell to, and by the time we got back it was comfortable. Loving it.

Side note: I also installed a Z-Wave keypad lock. I can lock and unlock our front door from anywhere too smile