I have just finished "slice upgrading" one of my previously hacked 4.0.1b DirecTiVos to 6.2 (the current DirecTiVo S2 software). The slice method retains recorded shows, seaons passes, etc. I was able to accomplish this thanks to this guide. However, it wasn't nearly as smooth as the 4.x guide by the same guy. I guess he needs feedback to polish it up. I will update this thread tomorrow with the "Ooopses" I came across. It's just that it's getting a bit late here now...

So, why upgrade to 6.2? Well, for one, it's newer software! Menu items and guide navigation seems to be way more snappy. See this site for info on that. HMO seems to work a bit quicker too and while playing MP3s, the info box moves around the screen so you can still see what's playing and not burn your TV. I haven't put TyTools back on yet, but it aparently works.

EDIT:

The first snag I hit with the 6.2 slice guide was this bit:
Quote:
3c) Figure out which ones you need, and un-gzip each one of them. Then un-gzip loopset-dtv-Series2.slice.gz, and THEN do it AGAIN to the same file. On Linux you need to rename the file to .gz again otherwise it won't recognize it as a gzip file. This could all be done quite easily on the TiVo, but now with those 5 files you have a nice package you don't have to mess with again.

I didn't proceed further with the guide until I thought about the part in red for a while and what the hell that meant. I eventually figured out the file loopset-dtv-Series2.slice.gz contains 1 file inside called loopset-dtv-Series2.slice once extracted. However, this file is also a gzipped file, but without proper extension. So, I had to rename loopset-dtv-Series2.slice to loopset-dtv-Series2.slice.gz and unzip it again.

The whole "tivotools" install from 4.x was a problem. I used an older version of the 4.x+ RID guide to initially hack my boxes. The version I used said to install tivotools.tar to /busybox. It seems the newest revision of the 4.x+ RID guide instructs the user to install the tools to /tivo-bin which is much more common.

Before rebooting your TiVo and letting it upgrade itself, I suggest you actually move /busybox to /tivo-bin on your 6.2 partition and add the below line to your rc.sysinit.author file if you followed the "/busybox version" of the 4.x+ RID guide:
Code:
export PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/tivo-bin

There is also an issue with this part of the install:
Quote:
cd /var/packages/
chmod 755 superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.0.tcl
./superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.0.tcl
chmod 755 set_mrv_name_67.tcl
./set_mrv_name_67.tcl YOURTIVONAME # (Type in the name for your Tivo, if you have more than 1, choose something descriptive ("Bedroom Tivo"). If you use spaces, you need quotes "around it")

For some reason, I couldn't just run these files like ./superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.0.tcl. I had to run them by typing tivosh superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.0.tcl. tivosh is in the busybox/tivo-bin directory. The reason these files had to be run like that had something to do with the way they were extracted. That doesn't make too much sense to me since this is the first time I had this issue, but I was getting too tired to dig deeper, and tivosh worked fine.

I guess that's it for now. The torrent on the guy's site was down yesterday but the edonkey link worked fine. If anybody needs the 6.2 slices let me know, I can host them somewhere.

Edited by robricc (25/07/2005 11:46)