Quote:
Questions about the HR20-700:

1. When DirecTV does finally start switching over to Mpeg4 and my HR10-250 becomes a paperweight, will I be able to simply unplug it and plug the HR20-700 in its place, or will I need an upgraded or additional antenna?

(In other words, will the MPEG-4 streams be coming off the same birds as the current stuff?)

2. Has anyone seen if its software is any good? What are the comparisons to Tivo?

3. Any promises yet made about the usage of its OTA antenna inputs?

4. Any promises made about us loyal HR10-250 owners getting discounted upgrade paths?

1. You can use the HR20-700 with any DirecTV dish, but MPEG4 content will require a 5-lnb dish. The only current 5-lnb DirecTV dish is the AT9 which is large and heavy. A slimline version should be coming out early 2007.

2. The UI is apparently identical to the R15 which is what replaced the SD DirecTiVos. There is a lengthy comparisson here, but lacks pictures. This thread has many photos and screen shots of the HR20-700.

3. OTA inputs are in the manual and rumors are they will be turned on in October. The HR20-700 is still not widely released yet. The only place to buy it officially is BestBuy until the 13th.

4. If you have an HR10-250 and you leased it, you should get an HR20-700 for free. Apparently someone did this on dbstalk.com, but I can't find the post right now. If you purchased your HR10-250, I would imagine you can work something out. Some long-time customers have been able to get $150 rebates upon activating the HR20-700. This is in addition to the AT9 dish and installation (with multiswitch if needed) for free (if leasing the HR20-700).