dbstalk.com has the most active forum for this box. Earl Bonovich is a DirecTV insider of sorts and has stated that DirecTV is reading the forum.

Since DirecTV doesn't have as much in the way of choice of receivers these days, the HR20 is their flagship product. It really has to work as designed asap, or it can severely affect their reputation. Many people on that forum resent being treated as beta testers, but I would have to imagine the vast majority of them knew that going in. With the latest update that came today, I would say this box is working well enough now for the common user. One major issue that remains is pixelation during fast forward of MPEG4 recordings. Other than that, most of the show stoppers appear to have been ironed-out. There are still minor things like incompatibility with some HDMI TVs and caller ID display not always working. I'm confident these things will be fixed based on the frequent updates, but I use neither of those features.

There is still some polishing that needs to be done. OTA is the most requested, but sound effects are also disabled due to the complexity of inserting them into the digital audio stream. There was another grayed-out function, but I can't recall it right now. Dual live buffers would be great, but that was never an intended feature.

I would bet show sharing is in the works. I'm sure some form of video extraction will become possible due to the ability to use external storage.