I was thinking about making a comment on the s/n ratio dropping down closer to /. levels, but refrained myself. I think we all see it anyway.

Slashdot levels? Oh my goodness, no. Things have gone downhill a little, but I haven't seen a single goatse.cx link or ASCII middle finger yet.

I think that as the members of this new (and, sadly, last) crop of newbies become experienced power users, we will see the S/N ratio and the general quality of posts go back to pre-fire-sale levels. These newbies aren't in any way less intelligent than the regulars here, they just haven't figured out that most of what they need to know is out there, and if they ask a question nicely here, it will be answered.

As for the aforementioned newbies who come in with guns-a-blazing attacking various segments of the Empeg community, they will probably be recipients of a few bitchslaps. Either they'll figure out how to state their case in a less confrontational manner, or they'll piss someone off enough to get banned. To my knowledge nobody's ever had to be banned from this BBS, so we're a pretty tolerant lot.

Besides I think there's enough people who care enough about this BBS that it won't ever approach Slashdot lameness. We just need to be patient and help all the new folks out, welcome the vast majority of them who make sense, and tell any idiots among them to go take a hike. Pretty simple, no?