That's his point. If the US didn't do anything about it, then the same people would be complaining that we just stood by and watched. I remember just as much opposition to the US and NATO getting involved in Kosovo. How many mass graves were Russia and Europe going to ignore before they finally decided to do something about it? Or more likely, how many 1,000's of people would need to be butchered there before those same people telling us not to get involved reemed us for doing nothing? Kinda reminds me of how the same people that said we should have gotten Iraq out of Kuwait with sanctions (huh?) the complained that the sanctions were causing the Iraqi babies to starve.

I think you're right, the US is simply the biggest kid on the block.

How many other countries would it take to total the amount of money the US spends whenever a national disaster hits some nation? How many foreign people help the US when earthquakes hit LA or our rivers flood? When has Russia offered rescue divers to save American sailors? (Hint, the US offered to help raise the sunken Russian sub even after Russia falsely accused the US of causing it to sink.) Why was the US more of a factor in peace in Ireland than any mainland European country?

Sure we mess up from time to time. The world is an unpredictable place and we're living in a post cold-war era that everyone is trying to figure out. There are a lot of things that our government did that didn't pan out or backfired but those couldn't have been predicted. Sometimes those costs are still worth it - as in the case of Afghanistan.