My knowledge of history is pretty poor, but the scenario you describe here can't be applied to China, can it? I don't have any knowledge of the U.S. trying to encourage a coup there...

No, you are right. Communism came to China through the Peoples' Revolution, because 99% of the people were fed up with the other 1% owning all of the wealth.

Before that, China was perhaps the most capitalist country that the World has ever known. The theory that capitalism and a free market economy only promotes competition, efficiency and a fair and happy country obviously applied. The reality was that political power ended up in the hands of the wealthy, who then abused it to consolidate their wealth, and the efficiency gains obviously only benefitted the wealthy, leading eventually to widespread poverty, and then civil war.

Now take a good hard look at the US today. Tell me how many people are in Congress. Now tell me how many of them are worth less than $5m.
Next, take a look at legislation that has gone through Congress in recent years. Can you find more examples that really benefit the US population at large, than those that benefit corporate interests? Don't forget to check the tagged on clauses.
Now take a look at tax figures. In 1940, corporate tax made up nearly 60% of federal tax returns, and individuals just over 40%. Today, corporate tax only makes up 13.7% of returns, with individuals paying 86.3%. Now that big tax break being targetted to the wealthy (who own and control such corporations) doesn't look so rosy. The trend indicates that individuals would be paying all of the tax receipts by sometime around 2010.
Now look at the Enron and Tyco scandals. Have we heard *anything* recently about any possible resolution for the poor sods that lost their retirement savings?
Next, look at the harsh penalties applied to one of the World's wealthiest company when it was found guilty of maintaining a monopoly position though illegal means. Note how many (predominately individually funded) tax dollars were spent in this prosecution. Now look at what's happening in the FCC, and how Ma Bell is restoring her power.
Now look at how the number of people living under the poverty line is increasing, not decreasing, despite a relatively stable population size.
Finally look at how many US children don't have basic medical insurance.

Are the Alarm Bells ringing yet? They should be - this has all accelerated in the past 40 years, and shows no sign of slowing down. When the individual states go broke, who do you think will suffer when state systems such as unemployment benefits, education, prescription drub benefits, etc break down? The wealthy?

I think we're missing the point. The biggest risk to The American Dream comes not from foreign 'outlaw' nations, nor from terrorist groups. It comes from the ever increasing concentration of wealth and power amongst fewer people.

The White House needs someone with some real balls. Someone who is prepared to veto any and every bill that promotes corporate interests above those of individuals. Someone who is prepared to shout at Congress on a daily basis until they get their shit together and start writing bills that help readdress the balance.

My fear is that it wont happen, and sometime within the next 50 years the USA will not be a very pleasant place to be.

Sorry Tony, but since you mentioned history and China in the same breath, I thought it was worth reminding people that we could actually learn from their experience, and try and avoid the same path.