I don't think UN inspections were 'sham'. They were not given enough time, and US kept repeating they had evidence Iraq has or is attempting to produce WMD, but never showed any. When finally US decided to present such 'evidence', it just turned poor Mr. Powell into laughing stock.
The inspections came about as a result of Resolution 1441 and others. The resolution stated serious consequences. France would not allow any accountability or enforcement of serious consequences. Therefore the resolution meant nothing. Therefore, resolution is a sham, and therefore, inspections are a sham. Now, Bush and his cronies were a little pushy throughout, but the fact that someone wouldn't even agree to accountability for a resolution that was already PASSED UNANIMOUSLY makes the U.N. look just as bad.
As for no-bid contracts, that's what I read in American sources. If they are innacurate, I stand corrected. (But tenders were certainly not international, were they)
hehe. Sure, we fight the war, you guys come in and make the money on the rebuilding... That's about as good as Bush's "we fight the war, and U.N, even though you're irrelevant, you guys can go ahead and take care of the humanitarian situation afterwards."