Very well said.
Sure we mess up from time to time.
Yes, we do. And instead of trying to chip in and help, many nations would rather watch us strike out own, and if we happen to succeed, jump on board, saying that they were with us all the time. (Chirac, I'm looking in your direction, mister "Oh, eef ve find ze chemical veppons, that's a different story.") Talk about a double standard. I understand that war is the last option, and I do think the U.S. should have tried harder to arrive at a concensus, but when you won't even negotiate anything that involves Iraq to be accountable, that's unacceptable.
. There are a lot of things that our government did that didn't pan out or backfired but those couldn't have been predicted. Sometimes those costs are still worth it - as in the case of Afghanistan.
Don't pronounce our efforts in Afghanistan dead just yet... We just went in there a year ago. There's still time for the new Afghan government to get the rest of the country under control, especially with our help. We're still working that angle with our people, too.