I'm looking for an external box with room for two 3.5" SATA drives in a RAID 0 array. I had one of these. On the surface, it seemed like the perfect solution. Firewire 800, compact design, and sturdy. But, the fan is loud as hell and the external power brick died after less than 1 year of use.

I am looking for something similar, but with either no fan or an incredibly quiet one. Firewire 800 is preferred, but FW400 or USB2 is acceptable. I already have a Dlink DNS-323 doing the duty of the failed Galaxy box, but I don't entirely trust it and it doesn't appear as a local hard drive in Windows (important).

Any opinion of just using two individual external FW800 boxes and spanning a volume across the two drives in Windows? I have done this before in NT 4.0 and it seemed stable, but I don't know what the performance or data integrity issues might be. This windows box has a 2.4GHz P4 (non-hyperthreading) and 1GB of RAM.

The PC is compact, doesn't have internal SATA, and all expansion slots are populated. Bummer. The compactness is no longer needed, so it may be more realistic to just get a more up-to-date computer and stuff the drives inside.