Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Lower pricing on Mac Pros thanks to the availability of a single processor (quad core) version again.

The previous Mac Pro was also available with only one CPU. It dropped the base price to $1999 from $2499. To get it, you had to do a BTO order, since Apple only offered one standard config.

To go 8 core now, there is a bit of a price jump. Last time around $2499 was 8, now it's just 4, and $3200 is the entry level 8 core price.

Yeah, I was a little sad to see that. So they can say that it starts at the same price, but it doesn't really. Oddly, $2500 gets you one 2.66GHz, and the $3200 gets you two 2.26GHz (and 6GB of RAM instead of 3). So it's hard to tell how much more you're paying for that second CPU.

Also, continuing with the Apple memory prices we were talking about before, notice that now you can upgrade the memory in the Mac Pro at around $150 for 3GB. Just two days ago it was $500 for 2GB. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that they're finally selling for close to market value, but this makes me wonder why Apple went so long without adjusting their prices on the old Mac Pros.

Question for you good folks: How easy would you expect it to be to add a second processor to the single-CPU model? I can get a 2.66GHz Core i7 for a mere $289 on Newegg, but I don't know what kind of Apple hardware I'd need to put the chip in.