I also went into a local Apple Store today to check out the new 17" MBP in person... I'm really considering picking one up sooner rather than later. I played with it for about 15 minutes, mostly trying different things with the trackpad and making sure it felt as natural as I need it to.

Decent, but it's going to take a little getting used versus the older style pads on PowerBooks. My main concern is that I seem to be able to double-click faster on the older style button, plus the strange feeling when putting two fingers down on the pad and then clicking with my thumb (feeling the movement on my fingers is the strange part).

My biggest concern at this point is something I've brought up before. Mac OS just doesn't have a system-wide font preference, so it's impossible, through any system UI, to change the default font size of the menu and standard application fonts. I can understand the difficulty associated with bumping the default app font because it would cause applications to break without also fully implementing a scalable UI. But providing a control to adjust the size of the menu font seems like a pretty basic thing to do.

I also haven't seen any Apple applications that let you change the size of their toolbar buttons. Sure, many of them have a Large/Small check-box in their "customize toolbar" sheet, but they don't really resize anything but the text labels (which I don't display on apps I'm familiar with). And then only every so slightly. Safari (4) doesn't even have that check-box at all. Nor the ability to toggle text labels - they're shown in the customize sheet, but not in actual use.

These concerns are brought up of course because the new 17" model features a 1920 display and my eyes aren't getting any more powerful.