Quote:
As for Drobo, I still love the idea, but I'm hoping they come out with something new that addresses the (low) speed issue in a meaningful way.

Just to be clear, I still really enjoy having the Drobo. Aside from the relatively slow performance, the device fits my needs exactly. Mine's populated with four 750GB drives now and I anticipate throwing a couple 1.5TB units in when the prices drop. I am somewhat concerned about the 2TB logical volume limit in XP-32 though.

Crap firewire support and the 2TB maximum drive size is making me question jumping ship to Apple for good. It's too bad I can't get along with Vista or 64-bit versions of XP. Perhaps Windows 7 will make things better, but it seems unlikely.

I really wish the reviews for Mac + Drobo were more encouraging. If so, I could see myself possibly getting an iMac right now. If only there was a headless Mac between the Mini and the Mac Pro, my decision would be that much simpler. If OS X could run legally on my relatively high-spec Dell box, that would be a no-brainer.