Mine arrived yesterday.

I ended up buying one after spotting amazon.co.uk were selling them for under £300, the price has since gone back above £400 ??? Drobo are also doing £35 cashback in amazon vouchers at the moment, so that seemed a slightly better deal than normal.

My first impressions are the same as your Rob, the unit is very very well put together. It weights about twice as much as it looks like it does. The fan is a little louder than I would have liked, but doesn't seems to come one at all during normal use and it totally silent when powered down, taking only a few seconds to come back to life when needed.

Data transfer seems high, I only have USB to try it on at this point. I have currently loaded it up with 2 1TB Samsung drives, they were good value at a little over £70 a piece and should provide enough space for at least a year. I think I have found my long term storage solution in Drobo, first impressions are good it's here to stay!

What is less impressive is the mac Dashboard software, and I would have liked some backup solution included for that price. Can anyone recommend a good solution for OS X ???

Cheers

Cris.