Originally Posted By: tahir
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Not when I'm only a 5 minute walk to the local farmer's market...

I guess OR means Oregon,

Yep. Portland metropolitan area.

Quote:
I know there are loads of great orchards round there but it's not the same, they'll never be able to sell the ripest possible fruit.

True, that, but it's still miles better than grocery-store varieties. But, if I want ultra-fresh, it's a 10 minute drive to U-pick strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and a few other berries I can't recall off the top of my head. One of my regular kayaking rivers has a take-out spot on what's called the Fruit Loop, too.

Quote:
If you have room in your garden grow a couple of fruit trees, maybe a Jefferson gage and something that'll pollinate it. If you get the Jefferson at just the right moment, warm from the sun, it'll be just about the best thing you've ever eaten.

That does sound tasty.

At the moment, our back yard is mostly un-landscaped. We'd like to do something with it, but beyond some blueberries, and maybe some raspberries, I think we're going to stay away from the fruit trees. We don't have the time, or inclination to be gardeners. My wife tries, but our green thumb is... well... more a sickly yellow, than green. You know... the yellow that plants get just before they die. :-p