Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Originally Posted By: FireFox31
Quote:
Send user story back to user for additional info.
Um..... If that's how the software development industry works, let me continue to keep my distance.

Really? All of those questions are focused on making sure you deliver what the user really wants, or needs.

Most software development methodologies spend most of their effort in dealing with a customer who cannot communicate what he wants effectively, largely by requiring feedback from the customer as the project progresses. When final code gets written varies, and there are varying levels of optimization for disposable work, but they all depend on the customer providing feedback.

But where this all falls down is that all of the development paradigms, at some point, assume that the customer knows what he wants. In many cases, the customer simply doesn't know with any sort of detail and you'll get positive feedback up until the end, when they then determine that it's all wrong. Or marketroids get in the way and corrupt communications from the customer to the developer, vice versa, or both.

I'm not saying that there's a solution for this problem; I'm saying that you're expending a lot of effort to reduce the effects of a similar, but distinct, problem, assuming that it will solve both.

It's like trying to herd cats.

Edited by wfaulk (22/07/2009 17:47)