Originally Posted By: drakino
Regarding the TV license, I do think the process could probably be modernized a bit (after reading this explanation of the enforcement process). With the upcoming UK digital TV transition, it would be the perfect time to switch to some sort of encrypted broadcast, and send license payers a decoder card of some sort, similar to the cable and satellite access methods. This would cut down on the paper waste and cost to send 23.5 million letters, and 3.5 million in person visits from enquiry officers.

That would be a huge step backwards IMO (and in fact I was thinking earlier about posting to say that one of the huge benefits we get from the BBC+licence-fee system is that our digital TV and radio isn't encrypted). I can run DVB transmissions into the back of my Linux PC and timeshift/distribute round the house etc. the full native MPEG streams, a whole mux at a time if I care to. I can't do that with Virgin Media cable TV, not even with the terrestrial channels: the whole thing is locked-down inside their own boxes.

Peter