I hope I'm not a grumpy old man, but I have sent 3 complaints to the BBC in recent weeks, about aspects of their service!
In each case, I've then got a conscience and added a final paragraph to emphasise that these are specific to what is the very best broadcasting service available, I think probably, worldwide - and iplayer is the icing on the cake.
I very seldom watch or listen to commercial broadcasting, either radio or TV, and I regard the licence as a bit of a bargain.
In case you're interested:
1. Putting the BBC4 logo in the top left, specifically in a series of art programmes about the pre-raphaelite brotherhood.
2. Mucking the programming about during the Wimbledon Tennis, for no good reason: i.e. up to 1984 there were still viewers who couldn't get BBC2, since then there should be no reason to bastardise BBC1. I've always wondered about the British attitude to tennis: For 50 weeks of the year most people aren't interested and have no knowledge of the game, for Wimbledon fortnight the whole nation goes gaga, as does the beeb: Strange.
3. Scheduling "The Wire" three nights a week over four weeks, but re-scheduling the finale, the nail biting conclusion to make way for a preview of a golf tournament(Not a crucial game) starting the next day.

Police state, penal colony? We had a mower stolen in the village 3 years back and we're always asking for more police presence to discourage speeding motorists: Don't see much evidence otherwise!