Originally Posted By: drakino
Regarding the TV license, I do think the process could probably be modernized a bit (after reading this explanation of the enforcement process). With the upcoming UK digital TV transition, it would be the perfect time to switch to some sort of encrypted broadcast, and send license payers a decoder card of some sort, similar to the cable and satellite access methods. This would cut down on the paper waste and cost to send 23.5 million letters, and 3.5 million in person visits from enquiry officers.

Unfortunately at this point in time that would be practically infeasible. The majority of viewers have already got digital reception equipment of some sort, be it terrestrial digital boxes or satellite boxes.

Most of the hardware out there is either incapable of taking a viewing card or probably was never tested with a viewing card or has a broadcaster in control of it who would charge the BBC massively for use of the viewing card.

In fact the BBC (and ITV/CH4) have gone to great lengths to get their satellite transmissions unencrypted. Until recently they all paid Sky to encrypt their transmissions to ensure that only UK residents could receive their signals. Instead they have now moved to transponders that have a smaller footprint and can't be received as far across Europe as the old ones.