Originally Posted By: robricc
Originally Posted By: DWallach
I'm intending to get a Galaxy Nexus, once they become available on Verizon, unless Verizon somehow manages to screw it up in a significant fashion.

Google already blew it. There are at least 3 variants of the GSM Galaxy Nexus, only one of which receives updates straight from Google. You can read about some of it here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1376856

The gist is that only phones with "yakju" OS builds are updateable by Google. yakjusc and yakjuxw also exist in the market, but Samsung pushes the updates for these. Guess which variant got the OTA software update and which ones didn't. I would also bet that Verizon will be pushing updates to devices rather than Google.

FWIW, my phone got the OTA fix for 900Mhz 2G networks.

That's quite disturbing. I certainly do not want to rely on Samsung OR Verizon to get me my updates. However, the one positive is that when Google pushes out an update for the version they're able to push to, usually XDA Developers gets a copy out to everyone else anyway. I've used that version to update my Nexus One in the past. I'd hope that we'd be able to use that on all the GN's, but who knows? And I guess there'd certainly be a difference between the LTE and GSM phones... Ugh...

Originally Posted By: drakino
(I moved Rob's good coverage post here, mostly since it makes more sense attached to the existing Galaxy Nexus thread, vs being at the bottom of a WebOS thread. Doubt many people are shopping for unlocked Palm Pre's these days smile

I'd have kind of preferred a completely new thread. It's not like we have too many, and it sort of clutters this one up. We'll hopefully have more stuff to talk about with this phone this week.

Edited by Dignan (13/12/2011 02:25)