Originally Posted By: DWallach
The only thing that was really beneficial from the Moto solution was that the phone, when mounted in the bracket, automatically launched the "car dock" application, which turned the screen into six huge buttons that you can easily press from far away. Of course, none of them did anything useful, so you ended up killing the car dock UI to go back to the regular interface. My most common mode of using this was to flip back and forth between the nav system and Pandora.

This is what's most annoying to me. While I agree that the car dock mode isn't very good, I love that when I put the Nexus One in its desktop dock, it automatically brought up the clock.

But because these "docks" merely charge the phone through a micro USB cable, there's nothing to tell the phone what it's plugged into. I guess the desktop dock I linked to in my last post could have something in it that identified it as a dock, but I doubt they went to that effort considering what they did for the car dock.

I guess I understand the theory that Verizon is trying to appease their phone manufacturers, mainly Motorola, but don't they realize that it's very likely that Motorola will be Google-owned in a little while? Why piss off Google so much?

And as for Samsung, why did they bother even putting those contacts on the Verizon phone if they weren't going to use them? Was it just cheaper to keep them that it was to design a completely different accessory line?

I wonder how long it will be before someone tries putting the Verizon GN in one of the docks with the contacts. I wonder if it would work...