Quote:
I find it interesting that public reaction seems to be way less... I guess "interested" is a good word... about this than 9/11. I would be f'n SHOCKED if the death toll isn't higher, and the far reaching economic toll is going to be similar if not way worse. Is it because the enemy here is "nature" and not a group or person?
I agree with Paul's post, plus I think that the angle of comprehending another human being doing something like this is always more sensational. Despite numerous historical lessons to the contrary, it seems we have this innate trust of other human beings- that they are incapable of having such little regard for innocent life. There is little doubt, however, about nature's disregard of innocent life.

A murder is always more sensational that when someone loses his or her life in a storm. We expect the latter, but every time we hear that a human decided the best course of action was to take the life of another human we are intrigued and distrubed.

Also, most of the concern over 911 did not seem to be about those who died. It was about our "loss of security" and "fear of terrorism". At the end of the day, sadly, the question becomes "what does this mean to ME", unless someone you know was invovled.

It is disturbing how we react to such tragedys- it does not speak well of humans, nor of the United States.