Definitely. As much as I want to get behind Nagin in all of this, it was a ginormous failure of government and bureaucracy on all levels. The disconnect is just astounding, and now they are all putting off the inevitable blame game and maybe rightfully so. The worst part is that they all acknowledge a lot went wrong... every single official on every level I've seen asked a grilling question comes up with that answer: "Yes, things went wrong. There will be a time to investigate what did and how to fix it, that time is not now" but we all know that in the end no heads will roll. They'll all just pat themselves and each other on the back and move on, most definitely so at the higher levels. At least on the lower levels you can SEE the guilt in the faces of those in charge... at least I feel like I can in Blanco's. I think the anger of a lot of the local officials, Parish Presidents, Nagin, et al. is misplaced guilt. Not that they don't truly have the lack of Federal response to be angry at...

I'm rambling, but at any rate, I agree. The breakdown on all levels is staggering and most of all scary as all hell.

I just bought my ticket to New Baton Rouge this morning... one way. I'm headed home to see what I can do.

Does anyone have any ideas on how some like me could contribute in a specialized way? I'm thinking along the lines of organizing getting net access in a shelter, or some things along that line.