Quote:
The focus shouldn't be on those questions YET.

"The focus" is obviously on saving as many survivors as possible, evacuating the areas that need to be evacuated, controlling the public health crisis, etc. But, the media can do none of those things directly. The media, at least what I've been watching, has been doing a great job of showing images of Coast Guard rescues, doctors and nurses working at makeshift hospitals with almost no supplies, neighbors banding together to help each other out, and other things that are all newsworthy.

However, while they're covering those stories, they're starting to notice that, for as bad as this disaster is, a country with America's resources should not be in this much disarray in responding to it. As they include those angles in their reporting, the picture becomes clearer to the decision-makers that more serious steps need to be taken. If the media weren't there to report what's happening and ask the "why isn't this more organized?" type questions, then the situation might be even worse.

Believe me, I don't love the media by any stretch, but they're the only eyes and ears we have now, and the more they bark, the more is done to save lives. That works for me.