Yeah, I've watched a couple of episodes of Point Pleasant. I was not impressed. I'm gonna give it a little longer since it's got some creators on the show I really like, namely Marti Noxon, who was the day-to-day producer/writer for the last few seasons of Buffy, and Ben Edlund, who worked with Joss Whedon on Firefly and the last season or two of Angel, not to mention being the creator of The Tick. So far, more than anything, I can't get past the acting, which is consistently horrible except for the sister-role girl (who, I've been told, is from my town). Also, I keep asking myself "Do these girls own any clothes that aren't bikinis?" The lead girl is particularly bad. (Also, her no-butt-havingness creeps me out. She's voluptuous everywhere else, but then just has no ass at all. It's weird.) Everyone else is very late-night soap opera at best.

Quote:
It looks like The OC meets Carnivale.

I'd argue that The OC is much better than Point Pleasant at this point. It has some credible actors (not all of them), and some vaguely original Whedonesque writing for its more familial scenes and some good satirization of soap operas in general and itself in particular in between the boozy teen-angst soap opera crap. Plus, there's constant comic book references; I'd bet that it's the first time anyone's mentioned Jack Kirby on network TV. (I don't actually watch the show, though. I can't get through the soap opera crap to get to the good stuff, which largely couldn't exist without the crap. My wife does, but I hear some of it and she occasionally pulls me in to watch a funny scene. Plus, Mischa Barton might be a worse actress than anyone on Point Pleasant, and they're really bad.)