Quote:
I've encountered some TV shows like that before that I dismissed, but when people told me that I should really give them a chance, I found that they were really good after all

That's exactly how I felt about Buffy. I didn't get into the show until the mid-season break of Angel's season 5. That's a depressing point to start watching what then became two of my favorite series. Anyway, I avoided the show because I wasn't into SMG (she kinda annoyed me) and I thought it was just a stupid show. Well, that changed. There was a period in which I wasn't going to start a job for 3 weeks, and my friends were all studying for a couple weeks without breaks. Well, I finished off six seasons of Buffy and four seasons of Angel in two weeks. I'm perversely proud of this accomplishment

Anyway, I'd say give it a try and it might suck you in (which may or may not be a good thing ). I usually recommend that people start with "Suprise" from season 2 and watch on from there. If you're not in into the show by the end of the season, you probably won't be interested in watching any more.