Quote:
Part of the mystery of the show is why, exactly, the Cylons are doing everything they're doing.

True, but we know virtually nothing about the Colonials' religion, either. We know that it's at least loosely based on Greek mythos, but there's no indication about what it has to say about life other than "this has all happened before and it will all happen again" and a few prophecies. We know nothing of how it tells them to live their lives, and I think that's important in order to contrast the Cylons' beliefs against theirs. Without telling us anything, it's just an excuse for fighting, not a reason. And I think that the show's better than that.

Quote:
They just turned tail and ran? None of them radioed or jumped elsewhere to report in?

Yeah, they sort of halfheartedly addressed that by saying something along the lines of "without the mine, they'll have nowhere to refuel and we can mop them up". Still, you're right.

I think the point of that was to show how Adama's still keeping secrets when he feels like it, even when he has no reason to. That's actually the part of the show I like. There's about fifty different sides.