You mentioned Medium which I forgot earlier and which I came back tonight to plug. I enjoy shows with a story arch, but this one is done very well for not having one (at least not one that's extremely serialized). There's a good amount of back-story banter with the family which keeps the mood of the show changing (as opposed to some other "crime" shows which focus on nothing but the crime). This show is mostly about the character, not the cases. Decent writing and a very enjoyable cast.

Back to Alias. None of the show is "realistic" but that doesn't mean they should go over the top with something completely unplausible (and tacky) and continue it throughout the season. Come on, look how many people are in that office and that's the ONLY way in? They can build this HQ under subway station and that's the most discrete enntrance they can come up with? Please.

First let me correct one thing. This is not going to be a half season. Unless you know something (recent) I don't. They're doing a full season's run without any repeats, just like they're doing with 24. Generally there won't be any missed nights either, with the exception of unscheduled events like presidential BS, etc. I still don't know why crap like that has to be on ALL networks.

The black-ops plot device is being advertised as going back to the roots of the show. However, this black ops team and the entire scenario has no resemblance to SD-6 nor what was going on in the first season. In fact it's just going down the alley that plagued lastt years season. The whole family working in the same little club-house, going on the same missions and hanging out after school together. Ugh. None of those relationships would last too long. The SD-6 environment was one of deception and what added some cool factor was the double-spying and triple life the main character was leading. IMO, they killed off SD-6 way too early - that was likely the first mistake they made with the show.

Next, you have a supposed "black ops" team doing otherwise mundane work that clearly the not-as-secretive portions of the CIA should/would be doing. Come on, you knew by the end of the first episode they'd be bringing Weiss in on the action sooner or later, right? What the hell happened to all the villians from last season? I don't like the abrupt dicontinuation from season-to-season. I did get sick of seeing the same villian (Sark) all the time (that was too unrealistic, the guy was everywhere), but now I miss never having him show up. Putting Sloane in "charge" of this team? Come on, too easy yet totally unbelievable. I can see having the guy in an advisory role, but this isn't working to help the plot nor character interaction/conflict. Last week was the first time we saw any pay-off with that character being in that position (the Dixon thing).

For a show to be really good in my mind it has to be worth mentioning (positively) the next day. At least having something about it pop into mind even if not discussing it with anyone. Sitting through an episode and somewhat enjoying it, only to think about it negatively the next day just doesn't sit right. This never happened with any of the first three seasons.

By the way, what the hell happened to Irena? At the end of last season they gave no indication the father had killed her (that isn't what was on the papers Sydney was reading nor the communication Jack had with her throughout the season). Lame plot line that's now going to come to a head (again) at some point this season because of the sister angle. And please, I'm really tired of seeing the main character as some whiny twist - that's not the same character from the first two seasons.

To relate this "enjoyed it enough to watch" to a recent movie I saw: That Leminy Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events thing... Decent acting, good sets and effects, had some potential. But, where was the story? Completely lacking. I also thought Carey barely had to try. My rating, 1 out of 5 stars. It ain't no Harry potter. I don't want to find myself still liking the characters in Alias but just not buying/enjoying the sotry.

Re: X-Files. Chris Carter started it off well but I think spent too much time enjoying the profits and getting full of himself. He stretched it far too long and now i don't know if his name would ever help move another series. Funny though, I enjoyed the short-lived Lone Gunmen show because it didn't pretend to be serious. I also enjoyed the show Space Above and Beyond, a product of two of the best writers to have contributed to the X-Files, Morgan and Wong.

Lost is a pretty decent show (I can't miss an episode - even downloaded them remotely and then transfered them to my hotel while I was in Vegas). About the only thing that bugs me about it is they tend to ignore some parts of previous episodes in a far too obvious manner. I mean, when Claire was missing, really, they should have been looking for her. They should have gone back out after the French woman, gone back to look at the first polar bear, etc... And this brings me to another show I really enjoyed (till they started messing it up), Earth2. Which I swear I thought Lost was copying to a "T" for many of the first episodes. The premise isn't new, but the similarities were too obvious (making substitutions for timeline, setting, etc...) Thanks for reminding me about The Prisoner. Still have to get the series on DVD - loved it.

I also still enjoy Amazing Race when that's on - and I can't believe they're starting another "season" only 3 weeks after this last one ended. I don't watch (nor like) the Apprentice (don't know why some people "love" this show), but I saw a number of the Branson Rebel Billionaire show which I enjoyed (a lot more adventure-related/cultural I suppose).

There's of course the obvious Sopranos, but I still have to watch the 4th season which i skipped on purpose so I could see straight through on DVD. Doing something similar with Boston Legal that i mentioned... Downloading all the episodes so I can watch them at my leisure in the summer.

Family Guy: some good episiodes some bad ones. Like the Simpsons. I thought Futurama was better than the Simpsons. And I like the Simpsons. Malcolm is always good, but I just never watch it anymore. Will pick up the DVDs. Love Scrubs, never seen a bad episode.

South Park. Don't watch the current season (time/scheduling, etc.. No TiVo...) and missed a lot of the past three, but I've never seen an episode I didn't like. It's just too funny. Love it. Have first three seasons on DVD from when they were first out, will buy all the rest now that they were released. This was on my TiVo season's pass. Along with a lot of stuff from Adult Swim (Cartoon Network): Cowboy Bebop (awesome) and Teenage Hunger Force (looks really bad at first, but its just messed up enough that I thought it was a riot and really enjoyed it).

Bruno