Quote:
The current spare partition is still too small for 64MB of swap

True, but largely irrelevant as it would give a total of 48MB (in fact, due to round-up-to-cylinder, actually nearer 56MB), which is a big improvement on 16.
Quote:
and some people already use it as an adjunct to the root partition

Not on brand-new disks they haven't built before, they don't. I don't know of any third-party add-ons that demand to live on the spare partition and not, as an alternative, the music partition.
Quote:
And the dynamic data partition also could use some growing space to handle the larger running orders that may appear on these new huge drives.

Again true, but largely irrelevant as you've already solved that problem with set-empeg-max-fid, which on typical large disks increases the size to nearly 24MB.
Originally Posted By: mlord
The alternative is to use a swap file, rather than a swap partition, and to place that file onto /dev/hda4. Except I remember that 2.2.xx kernels happen to perform much better when swapping to a partition rather than a file (fixed in newer kernels).

I respectfully suggest that putting a swapfile on /dev/hda4 in order to have enough swap to run fsck on /dev/hda4 is in itself not a great idea wink

Peter