Originally Posted By: Ross Wellington
Same symptoms, tried to fix with the mount -n -o remount,rw,nocheck for both drives, still can't find the tags.

"Failed to open tags" just means that the database didn't successfully rebuild. The database is held in three separate files: tags, playlists and database (or database3 for v3a11). "tags" is merely the first file that the player looks for.

1) Does emplode build the tag database then transfer it to the player or does the player build its own tag database based on the installed FID database?

The second. emplode merely tells the player to build the database. JEmplode, OTOH, has a mode where it'll build the database on the PC.

2) Is there a way that I can see how big the tag database is in emplode and in the player?

Not unless it's successfully built by the player -- it only exists on disk on the empeg.

3) Is there a possibility that I have a bad (corrupted), tag in the 18GB uploaded database that could cause the problem?

Possibly, but don't fixate on the "tags" file. It's merely a symptom of the empeg failing to rebuild the entire database. In fact, the "tags" file doesn't hold the tags. It holds the tag names, which is a fairly static list. The tags are in the "database" or "database3" file. See "Cached database", about two-thirds of the way down http://www.differentpla.net/content/2005/02/empeg-file-structures.

4) Should I remove some of the FIDS and rebuild the database on the player (which might remove the possible corrupted tags associated with them)? If that's a good idea, how should I do that?

You could try that. The quickest way is probably to "mv /drive1/fids /drive1/fids~". That'll remove half of your music in one stroke.