Hi,

I'm getting a little frustrated now.

I had the identical error occur again. The player will operate as normal until I power it down or open it with emplode. Then it times out rebuilding the database.

I had 335GB loaded onto it. Tried to load another 18GB onto it. It loaded the files, rebuilt the database and was waiting for the player to respond back.

Same symptoms, tried to fix with the mount -n -o remount,rw,nocheck for both drives, still can't find the tags.

Error:

! tags.cpp : 61: Failed to open tags (0xc0041002)

A few items of interest.

1) The original failure I had was with the drives loaded with 455GB and I was adding 3GB when it failed. I don't suspect a bad location on the drive because the database size is so different (335GB vs 455GB). It would have likely been different locations on the platters.

2) The drives were not overheating during the load process. I did in fact instrument the drives with the player cover removed and compared against ambient. Ambient is between 68 and 70 degrees F. The drive temperatures never exceeded 87 Degrees F.

3) I used a different host computer this time. Dedicated Ethernet switch (the empeg and host are the only agents on the a dedicated ports - no internet connected). Shielded Ethernet cabling. Host hard set for 10Base-T Half Duplex. IP Address hard coded, not broadcasted (no global DNS used). We have very solid power but everything powered on a UPS - no power anomalies logged. All of this configuration was consistent for this several days database load session.

4) Fresh load of V508 Software. Failed with V505 and V508 software - not likely the problem.

5) I had bumped the ReserveCache up to 18 in anticipation the player needed more player memory and caused the failure last time.

Some questions....

Assuming that there isn't enough player memory for the tag database...

1) Does emplode build the tag database then transfer it to the player or does the player build its own tag database based on the installed FID database?

2) Is there a way that I can see how big the tag database is in emplode and in the player?

3) Is there a possibility that I have a bad (corrupted), tag in the 18GB uploaded database that could cause the problem?

4) Should I remove some of the FIDS and rebuild the database on the player (which might remove the possible corrupted tags associated with them)? If that's a good idea, how should I do that?

4) Any other ideas?

Crawling back under my rock....

Thanks,

Ross