Given the generosity of the Empeg team (and I mean in the sense of the original people working on it) and the overall generosity of purpose in allowing free software updates on a low-profit item (don't forget build costs v. takeup v. overall unit profit, on total sales of 1.5k), I would be prepared to pay a hefty fee for VR if it required per-shipped instance licenses. Empeg Ltd could quite easily have charged for updates, and didn't. Even trivial amounts (say $10) would have netted a nice little sum on the basis of only release software made available so far. What if they had charged a $2 download fee per Alpha/Beta copy taken from the website, eh?

I am not honestly sure what this is worth to me. But given my tendency to show off geek toys, being able to tell my car HiFi what to do in front of my friends would reward me with serious geek points and bring me close to the ultimate trouser accident. As tanstaafl. frequently says: "Empeg: Play: Pink Floyd: Money" would have real street cred. OOoh, what a killer - is this the killer app that arrived just too late?

So damn it, I'll put my money where my mouth is - I would be happy to pay for this feature, up to the value of the unit itself.

Anyone else? Speak now - or forever hold your peace ('cos it'll be too late anyway)

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015